Starting date: Summer 2018
Contract duration:12-18 months
Country Programme: Syria
Base: TBC – Erbil, Iraq / Gaziantep, Turkey (if situation allows) with expected travels within the region
Reports to: Head of Programmes
Line Manages: M&E Manager NWS, M&E Manager NES, Accountability Manager
About the role:
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, and Education, in addition to Early Recovery activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $30 million, engaging over 350 full time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries.
PIN is seeking a senior expert to lead the M&E and Accountability departments across the Syria Mission, driving forwards initiatives to strengthen and enhance PIN’s approaches to transparency, accountability, monitoring and learning. The selected candidate will form part of PIN’s Senior Management Team, and will work jointly with the M&E and Accountability Managers, HQ M&E Advisors, and the Head of Programmes in contributing towards development and roll out of tools, strategies and procedures to improve programme quality, oversight and impact in Northern Syria. The Syria MEAL Coordinator will be based in one of the Northern Syria response hubs – most likely either in Erbil or Gaziantep, subject to administrative considerations and in consultation with the selected candidate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In coordination with PIN’s global M&E Advisors and Syria M&E Managers, review PIN’s approach to M&E in line with international best practices and ensure continual harmonization, strengthening and development of new frameworks for procedures, functions and processes institutionalizing support to quality M&E across all regional hubs.
- In coordination with M&E Managers, ensure that M&E reporting and data sets designed and implemented are in line with mission-wide reporting requirements, in good quality and complying with reporting timelines.
- Review regional level M&E products, including needs assessments, monitoring reports, and outcome and impact level reporting and analysis, working with the M&E Managers to compile, develop lessons learned and actionable recommendations for additional monitoring and programme improvements.
- Lead in coordination with M&E Managers on the design and roll-out of mission-wide programmatic evaluations (both internal and external) to assess the impact of PIN’s programming in Northern Syria, in line with internal and donor minimum standards.
- In coordination with the HoP, Grants Coordinator, and M&E Managers, lead quarterly review processes for all grants to assess progress against plans, lessons learnedfrom internal M&E products, Third Party Monitoring and Evaluation, Complaints Response Mechanisms and audit recommendations, and identify core action points for implementation. In coordination with the above staff members and the grants unit, supervise follow up and reporting of action point status to internal stakeholders and donors.
- Supervise the overall management of the Accountability Department across all hubs / regions implementing the Syria response.
- Oversee the roll-out of PIN’s Complaints Response Mechanism and PIN’s Investigation Policy and associated procedures, ensuring that all complaints are appropriately logged and reviewed; investigations appropriately conducted and documented; and all complaints and investigations resolved within set timeframes.
- In coordination with the Core Management Team, ensure that the outcomes of CRM and investigation processes and follow-up recommendations are communicated to relevant staff, and as necessary external stakeholders (community-level stakeholders, donors, coordination forums, etc.).