Starting Date: ASAP
Contract Length: 12 months with possibility of extension
Duty Station: Mazar-e-Sharif with travel to the field and Kabul
Reports to: Head of Programs
Afghanistan continues to be a country in the midst of conflict. The humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate seeing continued displacement and humanitarian need. The situation in Afghanistan is compounded by the risk of natural disaster in a country where access to people in need of humanitarian assistance continues to shrink. PIN has been working in Afghanistan for over 15 years in humanitarian and development response focused on the provision of shelter/NFIs, cash, protection and in the wake of continued conflict is committed to scaling up humanitarian response.
The Emergency Response Program manager is a member of Senior Management Team. S/he will ensure the overall management of PIN’s humanitarian programs in Afghanistan, reporting to the Head of Programs. The position will support the scale up of emergency response in line with PIN Afghanistan’s humanitarian strategy and responsible for national capacity building. The Emergency Response PM will represent PIN towards donors, humanitarian partners and coordination bodies and authorities where required. The PM will have overall accountability to ensure quality, timely and effective implementation of PIN’s humanitarian projects, upholding organizational values and humanitarian principles.
People in Need (PIN) is a Czech NGO that provides relief and development assistant in 22 countries around the world. In Afghanistan, PIN has been responding to humanitarian needs and implementing development programs since 2001. PIN has established presence in 8 provinces in Afghanistan with approximately 140 staff. PIN implements projects focused on agriculture, women’s economic empowerment, social integration, and humanitarian response.
PIN has a long term strategic commitment to contribute to the alleviation of suffering caused by extreme poverty and both natural and man-made disasters in Afghanistan, by providing neutral and impartial relief and assistance, regardless of the prevailing national and international dynamics. PIN aims to work in coordination with existing local governance structures and promote community-based approaches to avoid undermining local structures.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Overall designing and management of humanitarian response ensuring timely, quality, and effective implementation in line with donor and internal compliance rules
- Carry out emergency needs assessment using necessary tools available internally and within cluster mechanism.
- Ensure gender, diversity and issues related to inclusion are being adequately addressed in project cycle management.
- Track project expenditure regularly and make necessary measures in line with donor agreement and in consultation with Head of Programs and Finance Manager.
- Capacity building and performance management of humanitarian response team and partners
- Active participation in strategic planning process ensuring reflections of views from the grassroots level.
- Build, strengthen and maintain close coordination and collaboration with Country Management Team and with various units within the organization
- Work together with Head of Programs and Senior Managers towards donor representation and resource mobilisation.
- In collaboration with humanitarian team, Head of Programs and HQ, ensure high quality humanitarian project proposals are developed within tight deadlines.
- Coordination with humanitarian community including but not limited to other humanitarian actors, Cluster system, respective line ministry, etc.
- Close coordination with Monitoring and Evaluation officer to ensure establishment and effective implementation of M&E framework
- Prepare high quality reports in timely manner for internal and external uses.
- Close coordination with security and access advisors to ensure safe implementation of activities
- Develop, review and regularly update Emergency Preparedness strategy/plan for Afghanistan including capacity building of staff and partners.